In honour of National Cooking Day, we have a wonderful recipe from our Chef teacher.
• Sweet Corn, cream style: 1 tin
• Chicken stock: 1.25 litres (5 cups) OR water
• ¼ Chicken with bone washed and drained
• Spring onions - 2 tbsps., finely chopped
• Ginger - 1/2 tsp, finely minced
• Spring onion greens - 4 tbsps., finely chopped
• Corn flour - 2 1/2 to 3 tbsps. (corn starch)
• Light soy sauce - 1/2 tsp
• Egg - 1, beaten lightly
• Sugar: 3/4 tbsp.
• Salt to taste
• Sesame oil - 1 tsp
• White pepper powder - as required
• Spring onion greens: 3-4 tbsps. (finely chopped) for garnish
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel
2. Add spring onion whites and ginger and sauté for a minute.
3. Add the shredded chicken and sauté for a minute.
4. Add cream style sweet corn and chicken stock or water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce flame and cook on low flame for a minute.
6. Add sugar and adjust salt to the simmering soup and cook further for 3-4 minutes.
7. Mix the corn flour in 4 tbsps. of water and keep aside.
8. Add the corn flour mixture and go on stirring till the soup thickens on low to medium flame.
9. Slowly add the beaten egg and continuously stir in one direction only.
10. Ensure that the flame is low and the egg will form into thin white threads in the soup.
11. Keep stirring for few more seconds and turn off heat.
12. Pour into soup bowls, garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
13. You can season with white pepper powder.
Want to lean more for free? Go to http://www.stcharles.ca/ica
for information on our FREE Culinary Arts - Intro course that starts in October.